Get prepared for August bank holiday
With the bank holiday fast approaching - GP's in Merton are reminding local people to plan ahead for repeat prescriptions over the August bank holiday as many GPs and pharmacies in the area may be closed or have reduced opening hours. The bank holiday falls on 29th August 2016. View the local bank holiday pharmacy opening times below.
If you or someone you care for requires medicines regularly, make sure you order and collect repeat prescriptions in good time to ensure you have enough medicine to last over the holiday period.
If you do need health advice this bank holiday weekend, there are lots of options. NHS Choices has lots of help about local services and advice about common illnesses. You can also call 111 for more urgent but not life-threatening matters and if needed direct you to out of hours GPs.
If you need to use NHS services over the bank holiday, using the right one can ensure that you get the fastest, most appropriate treatment.
Whilst many people automatically head to A&E when something goes wrong, this is usually not the best option, particularly for minor problems such as coughs, colds, strains and sprains.
A&E is for serious accidents and emergencies. If you've sprained your ankle, cut your finger or are suffering with a cough, you will get faster and more appropriate advice elsewhere.
What other NHS services are available to Merton residents:
- Self-care – you can treat minor ailments such as coughs and colds, grazes and hangovers at home or visit your local pharmacy.
- Pharmacies – your local pharmacist is qualified to offer advice on health issues and medication as well as treat headaches, an upset stomach and other common illnesses. You can find more information about pharmacy opening hours in your area over the long weekend here.
- NHS 111 – NHS 111 is a free phone service that is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. It offers a one-stop number for patients with urgent, but not life-threatening symptoms
- NHS Walk in Centre at the Wilson Health Centre, Mitcham with no appointment needed. You don't need to be registered. The Centre provides walk-in services from 8am to 8pm, seven days a week, all year round.
- GP out-of-hours service – If you need to see a doctor when your GP surgery is closed, GP out-of-hours services are available on the usual surgery number and are staffed by local doctors and nurses who can offer advice or, if necessary, treatment at home or in a local health centre.
|Practice name||Address||Post Code||Monday 29th August 16|||||
|||||||Open/Closed||Opening Time||Closing Time|
|A P Chemist||41 Colliers Wood High Street||SW19 2JE||Open||10:00 AM||6:00 PM|
|Barkers Chemist||80 Coombe Lane||SW20 0AX||Open||8:30 AM||11:00 PM|
|Boots the Chemist||Unit 9, Tandem Retail Park||SW19 2TY||Open||10:00 AM||7:00 PM|
|Boots the Chemist||121 Centre Court Shopping Centre, 4 Queens Road||SW19 8YE||Open||10:00 AM||6:00 PM|
|Sainsburys Savacentre||1 Merton High Street||SW19 1DD||Open||9:00 AM||6:00 PM|