Need to call on the NHS this weekend? Save time by getting it right, say Merton GPs
Over the Bank holiday weekend, GPs in Merton are asking patients to use the most appropriate NHS service if they need medical help or advice.
'If you need to use NHS services over the bank holiday, using the right one can ensure that you get the fastest, most appropriate treatment,' says Dr Andrew Murray local GP and Chair of NHS Meton Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG). While many people automatically head to A&E when something goes wrong, this is usually not the best option, particularly for minor problems such as coughs, colds, strains and sprains.
'A&E is for serious accidents and emergencies. If you've sprained your ankle, cut your finger or are suffering with a cough or cold, you will get faster and more appropriate advice elsewhere. After all, who wants to spend their bank holiday sitting in a busy A&E department when you don't really need to?'
To have up-to-the-minute information about local health services at your fingertips 24/7, download the NHS Health Help Now app for your smartphone, tablet, laptop or desktop computer. Free to everyone who lives or works in Merton, it can be downloaded at the App Store and Google Play .
Or visit the Health Help Now website at http://merton.healthhelpnow-nhs.net/
NHS services available to Merton residents
· Self-care – you can treat minor ailments such as coughs and colds, grazes and hangovers at home or visit your local pharmacy.
· Pharmacies – your local pharmacist is qualified to offer advice on health issues and medication as well as treat headaches, an upset stomach and other common illnesses. To see which pharmacies in your area are open over the long weekend, please click here
· NHS 111 – NHS 111 is a free phone service that is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. It offers a one-stop number for patients with urgent, but not life-threatening symptoms
· NHS Walk in Centre at the Wilson Health Centre, Mitcham with no appointment needed. You don't need to be registered. The Centre provides walk-in services from 8am to 8pm, seven days a week, all year round. Go to the Wilson Health Centre website to find out more about the walk-in GP services it provides.
To contact the centre call 020 3458 5100 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
· GP out-of-hours service – If you need to see a doctor when your GP surgery is closed, GP out-of-hours services are available on the usual surgery number and are staffed by local doctors and nurses who can offer advice or, if necessary, treatment at home or in a local health centre
Merton CCG is formed of all 24 GP practices in the London Borough of Merton. We are responsible for planning and funding NHS services for the population of Merton. Our role is to hold the local NHS budget and make sure that it is spent on the right services to meet the health needs of Merton residents including hospital, community and mental health services.