The Expert Patients Programme
The Expert Patients Programme is a free, self-management course that supports people living with, or caring for someone with, one or more long-term health conditions. Common long-term conditions include: diabetes, back pain, high blood pressure, depression, anxiety, asthma, arthritis and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
The course offers a tool-kit of techniques to enable you to manage your condition better on a daily basis, by increasing your confidence and quality of life. Each course consists of 12 to 16 people, led by tutors who have long-term conditions
By attending a course you will:
- learn new skills to manage your health condition
- develop confidence in the daily management of your condition
- meet others and share similar experiences
- develop effective relationships with healthcare professionals.
People who have taken part have reported that it has helped them to:
- feel confident and more in control of their life
- manage their condition and treatment together with healthcare professionals
- be realistic about the impact of their condition on themselves and their family
- use their new skills and knowledge to improve their quality of life.
Who can take part?
Anyone living with (or caring for someone with) one or more long-term health conditions can attend a course. To attend a course you must either live, work or be registered with a GP in Merton.
What is expected of me?
We ask you to commit to:
- attend one session a week, for six weeks (each session lasts two and a half hours)
- travel to sessions within Merton.
What do people say about the course?
"I feel more confident – I'm leaving the house more often and trying new things." Melinda
“I now sleep much better, eat better and keep fit – I feel very well.” Vivien
"I am more focussed on weight management and I have started losing weight." Stella
"I found it helpful to have somebody there who had coped with similar things." Sushila
Watch our three short films, in which Merton resident and Expert Patient Katherine Rohan explains how the Programme has improved the quality of her life.
Part 1: Expectations
Part 2: The reality
Part 3: Quality of life
Want to know more?
You can contact us if you have any queries or would like to register for a course.
Please call 0203 668 1292 or 0203 668 1280 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Download our leaflet NHS Merton CCG Expert Patients Leaflet January 2016.pdf
Page updated 2 March 2016